[ubuntu-za] Can't Install 10.04 on a clean Disk?

vincent bullet at ballmail.co.za
Tue May 31 18:13:38 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 08:59 -0400, Lee Sharp wrote:
> On 05/31/2011 01:05 AM, vincent wrote:
> > I re-partitioned and re-formatted an old 80Gb disk using gparted and
> > tried to install ubuntu 10.04 on it.
> > However, I get an error as follows:
> > "(initramfs)Unable to find a medium containing a live file system."
> >
> > I've tried installing Mandriva, Debian6,PCLinuxOS, 10.10. All with the
> > same error.
> >
> > The only system that will install is 7.04 and when I try to install any
> > of the above while 7.04 is on the disk, I get the same error again.
>
> Later versions of Grub got very picky on the drive geometry.  Try some
> different drive settings.  Specifically, do not try to make SATA look
> like IDE.
>
> 			Lee

Hi Lee. I'm not clear on your suggestion on trying different drive
settings? It's an IDE disk. Something I did notice, don't know if its
relevant. After using Gparted, I noticed that the dev had changed from
hda & hdb to hdc.

Its been a long day & maybe I'm slower than normal, but could you
explain to this tired mind different drive settings.

TIA
Vincent