[ubuntu-za] Installing Google Earth 6 stops Oracle Virtual Box 4 from working

Hannes Coetzee scorpking at scorpking.za.org
Wed Mar 9 08:43:41 UTC 2011

On 08/03/2011 19:40, Paul Young wrote:
> I have Ubuntu 10.10 running and also use Oracle Virtual Box 4
> (from virtualbox-4.0_4.0.4-70112~Ubuntu~maverick_i386.deb).
> This had been working on Friday (last time I used Virtual Box).
>
> I installed Google Earth 6 ( 6.0.1.2032 beta) onto my system using
> these steps:

> Google Earth 6 works but Virtual Box 4 has stopped working.
>
> I am uncertain where to start troubleshooting. I have removed Virtual
> Box completely in Synaptic and restarted and reinstalled but this has
> not helped. I have also removed Virtual Box version 4 and installed
> version 3.2.
> (virtualbox-3.2_3.2.12-68302~Ubuntu~maverick_i386.deb)
> This has also not helped.
>
> Has anyone got any suggestions what I can try, perhaps even a
> VirtualBox replacement? I have a recent snapshot. I need to restore an
> iPhone under Ubuntu using Virtual Box unless there is another way to
> restore an iPhone under Ubuntu with a recent backup?
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards
> Paul Young
> Now using Ubuntu Linux Desktop 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat"
> Phone: +27 (0) 31 822 1632
> Mobile: +27 (0) 84 247 1544
> Skype: paulysa

Start vbox from cli. Most errors are usually displayed better this way.

If you updated your kernel or Vritualbox then take a look at
/etc/init.d/ .If I remember correctly there should be a vbox-setup file
or something similar. Run that and it will rebuild the kernel modules.

For a replacement you can look at vmplayer (vmserver is no longer
supported).

Hannes