[ubuntu-za] 11.04+ Unity on desktops / laptops ?

Peter Nel fourdots at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 15:42:25 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I was just wondering about the upcoming release and the future of ubuntu in
general.

I've recently upgraded my netbook to 10.10 and Unity's performance was so
bad that I had to purge it and related stuff and replace it with netbook-efl
packages to get the old interface back. The problem was related to unity,
mutter, and clutter if i understand correctly.

Besides that, i didn't like the new interface all that much, robbing me of
that vertical space on the right (although i understand it will be able to
autohide in 11.04)

Will gnome and the window environment (as it is in 10.10 desktop version)
also be completely replaced by unity from 11.04 onwards?
Will I have to strip it out and replace it with gnome every time?

I currently run the desktop release of 10.10 on my notebook, and got it just
the way i like it.
What's gonna happen?

Regards
Peter Nel