[ubuntu-za] Compiling code between versions

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 22:16:46 UTC 2011

Hello Charl,

I doubt that it is the kernel. It could be a bug in one of the
libraries you are linking against, but if you manage to narrow it
down, I doubt that the developers of that library will give the issue
any serious attention. If you tell us what you are linking against, I
can speculate more broadly.

Providing backward compatibility is more important (running 10.4 apps
on 10.10). But even this is not guaranteed. For example gpsd (one of
the "main" daemons) recently changed protocols as well as clientside
API without providing backward compatibility.

If you want to ensure maximum compatibility, you can either link
statically, or you could run 'ldd' on your executable to find out
exact what .so files you app depends on.