[ubuntu-za] Compiling code between versions

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Sun Mar 6 19:43:14 UTC 2011

Hi guys

I've always managed to compile source code on one version of Ubuntu and
then simply copy the executable across to and older version of Ubuntu
and run it without issues.  This no longer seems to be the case.

I compiled to program on 10.10 (desktop running on my laptop) for
development environment running 10.04.2 (server edition).  Both are
32-bit editions.  However, for some reason I now get and "Illegal
Instruction".  I traced the point of failure using remote debugging, but
found no obvious reason for the failure.  The executable also runs fine
on my laptop.

I finally managed to get a the executable running once I compiled it on
the target platform directly.  I suspect it is related to the different
kernels.

Is there a significant change between 10.04 and 10.10 that could cause
this?

Regards
Charl