[ubuntu-za] Looking for a facebook / twitter desktop-like APP for general use

Adrianna Pinska adrianna.pinska at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 15:01:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Wesley Werner <wesley.werner at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://status.net/ is an Open source microblogging application, it publishes
> RSS feeds of your posts

It doesn't *just* publish RSS feeds; it's microblogging server
software. Your users get a web interface (as with Twitter), an RSS
interface (not as with Twitter anymore; thanks a lot, Twitter) or can
use an appropriate desktop app which supports connecting to a custom
server.  There's at least one cross-platform app like that, which is
written by the same people who write StatusNet (I think).

Anyway, the point is, you would only have to manage the content on
your server.  Your users would have many possible ways of accessing
that content; all you'd have to do is provide instructions for all the
common cases.

The only downside I can think of is that microblogging services are
designed to be multi-user, so that anyone who is subscribed has a
microblogging account and can also post things.  I don't know how that
will gel with your idea of you writing stuff and your users reading
stuff.  But it may be possible to set up the server to have read-only
subscriber accounts; I've never looked at it in that much detail.

--
Adrianna Pińska