[ubuntu-za] Screen problem with Intel MBD.

William Walter Kinghorn williamk at dut.ac.za
Thu Jun 2 06:30:01 UTC 2011

Hi,

Search Google for "bios update linux"

You get such sites :

http://www.linuxinsight.com/how-to-flash-motherboard-bios-from-linux-no-dos-windows-no-floppy-drive.html

Hope this helps

William
From: ubuntu-za-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com [ubuntu-za-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com] On Behalf Of frans [dormakorp at vodamail.co.za]
Sent: 01 June 2011 15:43
To: Ubuntu South African Local Community
Subject: Re: [ubuntu-za] Screen problem with Intel MBD.

On 11/06/01 11:00 AM, Ian Whitfield wrote:

> Thanks to Wesley for the above information!! I have now downloaded the
> BIOS Update but have no idea how to install it?? (I have not tried the
> Live CD test yet)
>
> A second thought - if this update works or not would it not be a
> better plan to buy a separate Graphics Card and install that? In which
> case which card would you recommend that will work with my Mint 10
> KDE. I'm not a heavy graphics user but would like to get a couple of
> features working - like the rotating cube on the Desktop. I'm not a
> Gamer but do a lot of photographic work on my computer and use Scribus
> to publish a monthly Journal.
>
> Thanks all.
>
> Ian Whitfield.

I have done this recently...
The programs for the bios update are (usually) windows only(Why on earth
would manufacturers still do that????)
I used a boot cd with winxp mini and installed.

Other Motherboards actually allow you to up date the bios from the post
screen, pressing a Function key.  best is to check with your
manufacturer. Also never shut down you pc if it apear to freeze during
the update...it should recover in about 10 minutes if "no joy" after 24
hours replace the Motherboard. :)

I never had it get to that point though so you should be  be rather
safe. just make sure the power is stable, no lightning outside and the
power supply does not have that strange bubbly noise as if the fan is
not effectively cooling it. Also have some sort of motivation handy for
the Computer to finish the job :)

Frans

--
When working on a computer you have to know enough:
  To fake what you don't know.