[ubuntu-za] Success!!! :)

frans dormakorp at vodamail.co.za
Thu Jul 14 09:29:01 UTC 2011

Just to brag some.

I have just finished installing 11.04 on a Dell optiplex 50 using the
Live Disc
Specs:
HDD 20G
CPU 1300GHZ Celeron
RAM 273.4MB
Manufactured about 2002.

Now why this mail?

The RAM amount are not enough for the install...It would not run past
Language Selection.
That's all I had so I had to make do.

How:
I dropped to console (Alt-F1 to F6), the graphical tool did not work
with me and was to slow anyway;
deleted the Fat32 partition;
created 2 partitions, 1 for swap (this should be at least 280 to work
nicely with my ram amount, but 100MB would have work also. I made it
1024MB, because I want to use this pc as a Home Theatre box...and just
to be on the safe side.), the other partition is for the OS and will be
handled by the installer;
Write the changes to disk and reboot( not necessary...I think...but safer)
Again back to console ASAP;
Now I used mkswap /dev/sda1(my swap partition);
Then swapon /dev/sda1
back to the GUI and install(it might be usefull to reboot here thou not
necessary)
now the idea here is to configure everything as soon as you are allowed
to and make sure you select the correct Locale/Timezone as I had to
reboot to fix a hangup here, and with any luck...or skill... it runs. no
configure the startup aplications for just that little less memory usage
and you should have a rather responsive system.

Frans

--
When working on a computer you have to know enough:
  To fake what you don't know.