[ubuntu-za] Moving windows between desktops

Jan Greeff jan at verslank.net
Thu Jul 7 11:36:51 UTC 2011

Thanks for the info SR. When the basic (none) visual effects option is selected, Ubuntu permits me to drag and drop windows freom one workspace to another in the workspace switcher. When the "normal" and "extra" options are selected, the facility does not work.

I find this weird, the more advanced setting restricts the options...

Thanks for the tip - I will start a new discussion in a new thread in the future.

Hi Jan (2011.07.05_21:39:58_+0200)

> >  Please help with a small problem that I have - previously I could
> >  move a window from one desktop to another by a simple drag and drop
> >  operation in the desktop switcher. This facility seems to have
> >  disappeared or has been disabled and I cannot get it to work again.
You mean the desktop switcher on the toolbar? That sounds like this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-panel/+bug/696350
Which seems to imply that it doesn't work when Compiz (Visual effects in
the Appearance settings) is enabled, but does otherwise.

There are other ways to do this in Compiz:
* Use the expose view of compiz (Super + E in Gnome, Super + s in Unity)
* Ctrl-Shift-Arrow to change workspace and take the current window with
   you.

BTW: Please don't just reply to an old e-mail to start a new discussion.
Editing the Subject helps, yes, but there are still mail headers that
say that this message was a reply to another message. This breaks
threading in decent mail clients.

SR