[ubuntu-za] OCR program for Ubuntu or Linux

Nico Michael (pta@ibst) nick.michael at ptaisp.co.za
Tue Jul 5 19:40:24 UTC 2011

Hi there
I recently had to scan a document on my wife's computer.
I had installed Ubuntu Linux  on it , as the kids kept on infecting her computer with viruses.

And yesterday I needed to scan a document on her machine
only to discover there was no OCR program installed in the Ubuntu.

I could not find a suitable GUI driven program she could use for OCR, short of installing a windows VM on her machine
I did not want to do that or she would make me re-install Windoze on her machine , viruses and all

So what do I  use on her machine to OCR with out typing terminal commands?

I could not get the scanned documents converted to text  on her machine so I had to do that on my work laptop which is running Windows with Red Iris (oops ............ confessions...)
However I did install Crossover on her Linux so she could use her Microsoft Office in her Ubuntu.
It was the only way I could get her to migrate to Linux

Should I install Red Iris in her Crossover ?
What would you recommend for a user friendly program not terminal program that can OCR?

regards
Nico