[ubuntu-za] Sound & Video Questions

Ian Whitfield whitfield at federalsaints.net
Sat Jan 29 08:34:10 UTC 2011

Thanks Wesley

> Any error messages when you enter 'dmesg'?

Yes a whole lot and I don't know how to display them as a screen at a
time, (like 'more' in Windows). But I was able to see...

[  18.417945] NVRM: No NVIDIA graphics adapter found!

> You can try reconfigure the X server: sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

This made no difference, no error message or anything  (However I did
notice for instance if I try and run a program (like Kate) I get the
error "Cannot connect to X server")

> You could try the instruction in the previous link I posted, they're
> old instructions but appropriate for an old card :)

When I try this I get the error "Nvidia-glx not available. Package is
missing or obsoleted."

As you said it's old instructions!!

This very frustrating!! In 2 years I've never had this problem - now
with K10.10 I do. It's like sound, networking and other things.
Sometimes they have worked and sometimes they didn't!!

Thanks for the help - Don't know if I can cure this with my level of
knowledge..... Maybe I should re-install (yet again) back to 10.04!!!???
This is just the kind of thing that has caused all my re-installs.

You can contact me directly if you have any cleaver ideas 012 817 2001
as I have a lot of work to do next week so have to cure this this weekend.

Ian Whitfield