[ubuntu-za] Video Editing in Ubuntu 10.10

Johan Mynhardt johanmynhardt at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 20:55:59 UTC 2011

On 23 January 2011 16:35, Paul Young <paulysa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I have recently migrated to Ubuntu and used to edit videos under Windows XP
> with Microsoft Movie Editor. Is there a similar tool under Ubuntu to use. I
> need to import *.avi files - some up to 2GB from my 20 gram video camera I
> use in my RC Glider and edit them and make short videos of about 10 to 20
> seconds.
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul Young
> Now using Ubuntu Linux Desktop 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat"
> Phone: +27 (0) 31 822 1632
> Mobile: +27 (0) 84 247 1544
> Skype: paulysa
> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/paulysa1969
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/paulysa1969
> SAMAA: 2544
> Callsign: ZR5PY

I for one feels like a little boy waiting for his birthday present
about LightWorks[0]. It's in the process of being opensourced[1] and
I'll try it out once it reaches Linux. It seems to be the closest
you'll find to Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro.

Then there is also a really powerful editor called Cinelerra[2]. It's
really hard to master, but IMO it's the closest you'll get to the
proprietary counterparts for now (I think LightWorks will step into
this position).

Links:
0. http://www.editshare.com/?option=com_content&task=view&id=155&Itemid=203
1. http://ostatic.com/blog/powerful-video-editor-lightworks-released-as-open-source
2. http://cinelerra.org/

--
Johan Mynhardt

+2772 432 8108 |johanmynhardt[at]gmail.com
http://flug.org.za | http://nuvolari.co.za | http://johanmynhardt.co.za/
irc.freenode.net (#ubuntu-za|#flug.org.za)