[ubuntu-za] Windows 7 missing from grub?

Matthew French matthew at gillyweed.co.za
Thu Feb 24 19:45:12 UTC 2011

On 24 Feb 2011, at 3:11 PM, Alf Stockton wrote:
> Yesterday evening I bit the bullet and installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my Thinkpad-T500 that already had Windows 7 installed and all went well, including rebooting into both Linux and Windows 7. So I switched off and went to bed.
> This morning on booting grub does not appear to be able to find Windows 7?

If you are used to the old grub remember that 10.10 uses grub2 and an autodetection script to automatically build the menu.

Try:
sudo update-grub

Look out for any error messages. You might want to also look in /var/log/messages for possible errors.

I had this problem before when I was using old hard drives that had been part of a raid set. Grub couldn't detect the raid config and as a result bombed out trying to scan the first hard drive, so I had no Windows to boot.

This is unlikely to be a problem on a new laptop, but does tell me grub2 can be sensitive to small problems.

- Matthew