[ubuntu-za] Sync folders using git

Liedeman, Ciaran <15094014@sun.ac.za> 15094014 at sun.ac.za
Thu Feb 24 16:07:41 UTC 2011

>My question is, how can I use git to sync two folders on one machine, as in sync my documents folder to the documents folder on my thumb drive?

Hello Daniel

Do you have internet at home? If you do and your home pc is you main work machine, where you store the master repository, you can
checkout a working copy anywhere you have internet access, make changes push them to the master repo and then when your woking at home
again pull the changes you made remotely and continue from where you left off. It may sound a bit racy but if your the only developer it works quite well
as there is no merging - if you always remember to push your work. This of course only all work if you have internet access everywhere you want to program.

Heres a link to the git book - very good read - about distributed workflows which you can adapt to what you want to do
http://book.git-scm.com/3_distributed_workflows.html

Regards
Ciaran Liedeman