[ubuntu-za] System won't shut down

Bill Cairns cairnsww at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 17:39:53 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal-pc.org> wrote:
> On 02/03/2011 08:50 AM, Jonathan Hitchcock wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> 2011/2/3 Daniël Louw <daniel at dline.co.za <mailto:daniel at dline.co.za>>
>>
>>    I am not sure what the "administrator" type means, but hopefully
>>    it's not a synonym for root? Maybe someone can clarify that?
>>    It would be quite scary to be logged in as root the whole time...
>>

>> It means that the user bill gets put into the "admin" group, which gives
>> them extra permissions.  He's not logged in as the root user, but he
>> does have elevated permissions (such as being able to shut down).
>
> The admin group is a catch all of vaious permissions, like mounting devices,
> changing sound, running sudo, and shutting down.  YOu can also do it
> manually.

I think (maybe I am wrong and I am not going to check it out until I
do my next install) that one automatically gets administrator
privileges on the user name that one specifies when one installs. How
I suddenly got to be "Custom" I have no idea, but the problem is there
somewhere.

I love the "sudo Make me a sandwich" joke.

Bill