[ubuntu-za] System won't shut down

Daniël Louw daniel at dline.co.za
Thu Feb 3 13:44:38 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Bill Cairns <cairnsww at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Bill Cairns <cairnsww at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks - so this normal user bill does not have the authority to shut
> > down. How can I get it back again?
> >
> > Big Bill
> >
> To answer my own question: I went to System - Administration - Users
> and Groups. and changed my Account Type from Custom to Administrator.
>
> Now I can shut down in the normal fashion.
>
> Thanks for the hint. How what got changed I have no idea!

I am glad you got it fixed!

I am not sure what the "administrator" type means, but hopefully it's not
a synonym for root? Maybe someone can clarify that?
It would be quite scary to be logged in as root the whole time...

Speaking of 'sudo go to bed', hopefully this will brighten up your day:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/sandwich.png