[ubuntu-za] Stop the Anti-Unity / Gnome 3 FUD!

Peter Nel fourdots at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 15:18:30 UTC 2011

Folks, sorry if I'm coming across crudely or impatient. I'm just going
through the motions.

>> 8<  (i like your scissors :)
>>
>> ... "window-based" vs. "application-based" ?
>>
> I don't know how else to describe this except calling it window based (every
> application can have many windows [the "old way" of interacting with
> multiple programs [applications in the new language]) as opposed to
> application (or program) based where every application has only one window
> (i.e. how smartphones and tablet computers work, and how things are going
> with all modern operating systems it seems.) Does this clarify it for you?
>
> [edit]On rethink, the default unity switcher is a perfect example of the app
> centric approach. You have three terminals open, among other applications.
> Each has it's own window. In Unity, if you alt+tab, you get ONE icon for
> terminals - application centric. (I do realise down button shows you the
> rest)
>
> Static application switchers in the past (I do not know if the new one you
> use does this) would show you _every_ terminal window. <= this is Window
> centric.[/edit]

Ok, I understand. This to me is still a completely superfluous
distinction. It's nowhere near your comparison to tablet & smartphone
"app-focused" operation. It may seem that way, but it's really the
same as it's always been.
Given that the perception is perhaps reinforced by Unity's non-obvious
way to launch multiple instances. Unity also indicates grouped
multiple windows with those little triangles, which is like having
your classic window-switcher panel applet set to group windows by
default, like I use to have; it is also the default grouping behavior
for other panel apps like docky and cairo
** Unity is however still, by your definition, "window-focussed".

Not to beat a dead donkey, but like I explained before, there are
various ways to launch multiple instances of the same application (not
a new term BTW), many even allow you to launch new instances (windows)
from within the app itself e.g. via Ctrl+N (browsers, terminal,
nautilus) in addition to tabs (Ctrl+T).
Yet ANOTHER way to launch a new instance (window) is to run it from
the dash (like from a search, e.g. super->"fire"->enter (x2) will run
2 separate instances of firefox)

>> > I remember an option under compizconfig or somewhere to "prefer
>> > applications on the current desktop" but it has defaulted to the old way
>> > after an update and I forgot where to set it.
>>
>> So, there's no real problem then?
>>
> I get the idea you did not read this part of my reply properly. There is a
> problem. It was "fixed", and after an update it "broke". I am trying to get
> it to prefer apps/windows on the current desktop again, but it does not.

You didn't specify that it "broke". I've never used that setting and
it seemed the only problem was that you failed to try to "remember".
The latest default Alt+tab switcher has only come out in the latest
(11.10) release, and is probably under active development.
Just try the compiz Static Application Switcher, it's nice looking and
works well. There's also the similar cycling "Application Switcher",
the "Ring Switcher" (also nice to alt+tab+click direct select a
window), and the "Shift Switcher".

>> Again, alt+tab behavior can be replaced (or configured as you said).
>> Though it takes 1-2 minutes to do, not a 1/2 hour like you say.
>

> You assume that the only thing I tweak is the switcher. You are mistaken.

Sorry, it was the only thing you mentioned before.

> I change, among other things:
>
> a) Launcher from auto-hide to always visible. I like being able to see what
> is open and active with a glance as opposed to a mouse movement.

I like the "Dodge Active Windows" setting, so I can still have a full
screen when needed, and pop-out the launcher on demand, via Super-key
or mouse-hover.
On a less populated screen, it's always visible.

time taken: ~15 sec (note: all times assume you already have CCSM installed)

> b) Make the launcher as small as possible - this is currently 32pix, I would
> like 24pix but that is not a train wreck for me.

time taken ~15sec

> c) Switch launcher icon backgrounds off. Only active windows have colored
> backgrounds on their launcher icons.

time taken: ~ 25 sec (didn't know about this, thanks!)

> d) Extra desktops, four is not enough.

time taken: ~45 sec

> e) Whitelist various applications for showing on the top panel.

did: google "whitelist unity"; quick read of what and why; got script
time taken: ~2min
(is this still necessary in 11.10?)

> f) Install unified menu support for LibreOffice (currently not working in
> Oneiric)

Mine works by default (most of the time ;-)
time taken: 10 seconds to run LibreOffice to check (calc & writer)

> g) Fiddle with the switcher.

?presuming replace switcher with arbitrary compiz one?
time taken: ~20 seconds

> h) Add a google docs uploader (with drag and drop uploading) that I found
> on-line and customised a bit.

why's this here? but ok...
search google "google docs uploader unity"; open first article: see
required package "googlecl" already in software centre, so skip few
steps by installing from Software Centre;
terminal: $ google docs list –fields url ## then enter details
extract downloaded folder, edit .desktop file, add shortcut to launcher - boom!
time taken: ~4 min

[for those interested:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/06/drag-and-drop-google-docs-uploader/]

> k) Add shortcuts to the home folder icon in launcher for Docs, Pics, Videos
> et al.

google "unity home folder icon in launcher for Docs, Pics, Videos";
first link: http://askubuntu.com/questions/35488/list-of-custom-launchers-quicklists-for-unity
half the instructions already present on my default Oneiric; paste
additional & save; log out / log in.
Test... Boom! Hey cool :-)

time taken: ~5.5 mins

> l) Add a plethora of lenses, like the mentioned calculator functionality.

plethora? ok, lets do the calculator...
google...  first link:
http://iloveubuntu.net/unity-utilities-lens-adds-calculator-based-features-unity
log out & in again; test, tap super: 4/2 = 2; sin90 = 1 -- cool!

time taken: ~11 min

total time taken: 15 + 15 + 25 + 45 + (2*60) + 10 + 20 + (4*60) +
(5.5*60) + (11*60)

Dash result: 1480 sec = 1480 / 60 = ~~ 24.666666667 minutes (HAHAHAHA !!!!)
[Disclaimer: calculations done with dash 8-]

Ok, just under 1/2 an hour. LOL
(I gotta get another hobby!)

> There are others, but they are more like installing Evolution because I
> prefer it to Thunderbird, making Chrome my default browser... bla... ya...
> etc, etc...
>
> That is all for now.
> --
> Quintin van Rooyen

What what I saying again? Can't remember.

--
Péter Nel