[ubuntu-za] Configuring Ubuntu 11.10

Hannes Coetzee scorpking at scorpking.za.org
Fri Dec 23 06:07:00 UTC 2011

<---SNIP--->

The same thing happened with KDE when KDE 4 came out. People complained,
some moved to Gnome, some went back to Windows and others just stuck
with KDE 3.5 for a while. It took a few months before KDE 4 grew on me.
The biggest problem seems to be that people don't like change (a reason
many people stick with Windows) and few are willing to take the time and
familiarize themselves with new features. A lot of people choose to
complain rather than adapt. The best thing to do is to take a weekend
and learn whatever you need to + look on the bright side, you could have
been without choices.No big changes are ever made in the Lunix community
are without good reason and in the end almost all of the users tend to
agree with the upstream choices.

As for the original problem on this thread, I would recommend it to any
computer user to make a point of learning something new about their
computer or operating system every day. If you are not familiar with the
command line then linuxcommand.org is a good place to start. The
knowledge and understanding one gains from learning how to do things
without depending on the GUI is not easily explained.

Happy holidays and all the best for the festive season.
Hannes