[ubuntu-za] Configuring Ubuntu 11.10

Peter Nel fourdots at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 08:57:13 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Jan Greeff <jan at verslank.net> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> When I tried to implement your suggestions the system froze almost
> immediately so I could do nothing.
>
> I have now upgraded from 11.10 to 11.04 and will be using that drive for my
> backups.
>
> Many thanks for all your inputs.
>
> Jan
>

> On 19/12/2011 13:44, Peter Nel wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 7:19 AM, Jan Greeff<jan at verslank.net>  wrote:
>>>
>>> ... I ran the "sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback" command. Is
>>> there a
>>> way to reverse this?
>>>

>>> Jan
>>>

>>> On 18/12/2011 20:06, Peter Nel wrote:
>>
>> Haven't verified, but you remove apps usually with:
>> $ sudo apt-get remove --purge<package>
>> - or simply -
>> $ sudo apt-get purge<package>
>>
>> Also, to clean the apt cache of downloaded installs and updates, run:
>> $ sudo apt-get clean
>>
>> (FYI - the software centre runs apt-get in the background)

Jan,

Darn, I should have been more clear that the "apt-get remove" command
was untested on your scenario, and might not completely "reverse" the
"gnome-session-fallback" configuration.

Now you see what happens if you go for the easy short answer :-)

All should not be lost though, I think worst case scenario is that you
messed up your "default" desktop setup.
I think the regular one should still be there, and it should be
possible to set things up so you can log into that one again...
Have you tried rebooting into 11.10 after the grey screen? If so, you
should be able to select the session you want from the login screen.

... If not, we can try to fix it, but before this mail gets too long,
and I lose you again - is it possible to just re-install 11.10 on that
partition/drive?
Many bugs in 11.04 were fixed in 11.10 and it would be more stable,
and preferable to 11.04 in my opinion.

Remember, Linux is not windows, where re-installing the whole OS is
usually the only option.
It's Always possible to fix things, from a terminal or elsewhere.

I'll be here if you need me.

Péter Nel