[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu 11.10 disappointment

Quintin van Rooyen quintin.vanrooyen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 13:10:39 UTC 2011

On 19 December 2011 10:50, Jan Greeff <jan at verslank.net> wrote:

> **
> Hi Quintin,
>
> The problem recurred with Skype inactive. I am running on my other hard
> drive on 11.04 again.
>
> It freezes so solid that I can hardly do anything, it took about 5 minutes
> just to shut down, so I did not run anything in the terminal, simply becaus
> it is almost impossible to get anything going once the slowdown occurs,
> which seems to happen about 15-20 minutes after startup.
>
> I think that I will have to do a new clean install this evening.
>
> Hi Jan.

If you are interested in trapping the culprit, try running the below
command in a terminal while you are working. It repeats every five seconds,
and you can change that interval as you please.

while sleep 5; do top -b | head -n 10 | tee whatcrash.txt; done

I used tee instead of piping to the text file ( >> ) so that you can keep
an eye on what is going on in the terminal and possibly catch the culprit
and kill it.

It also outputs to a file with a .txt file extension that you can open it
with Windows notepad if you needed.

If your system crashes and you have to hard reset you can look at the last
few outputs to the text file to see what the resource hog was.

Hope this helps!

Quintin van Rooyen
quintin.vanrooyen at gmail.com
The New SA Geek!