[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu 11.10 disappointment

Quintin van Rooyen quintin.vanrooyen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 07:28:28 UTC 2011

On Dec 18, 2011 8:57 AM, "David Apter" <dave.apter at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have installed 11.10 on a slow speed netbook and it runs very fast
using either Unity or GNOME.  You have some other issue.

I have done both the upgrade and fresh install of 11.10 and they seemed
fine. Upgraded one experienced some slowdown over the fresh install of
11.04 though. If Jan had not done a fresh install I'd suggest he try that
option.

BTW try get used to Unity, I hated it at first but now love it.  Look for
apps that give back some of the 'old' gnome menu (eg ClassicMenu Indicator).

I also like Unity. The funny thing is that I cannot point to something and
say "I like this, or that..."

There are a lot of things I dislike about it, but the thing with Unity is
it generally stays out of my way, and I interact very little with the
things that irritate me.

It keeps improving though, and is already good for everyday use.

> DBA
>

> On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Jan Greeff <jan at verslank.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi there, some comments will be appreciated, please.
>>
>> I have upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10, now my computer is running like an old
woman trying to find out whether she can make better headway on crutches or
a wheelchair.  When I boot on the drive where my old 11.04 is, everything
is fine.

>> I ran the gnome session fallback command and selected gnome classic,
could this be the cause? The classic option on this version is also much
different from the old one and very frustrating to work with.