[ubuntu-za] Filesysytem >Root

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Mon Aug 29 11:39:12 UTC 2011

Hi Bill, everyone else,

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 12:23:42 +0200, Quintin van Rooyen wrote:
> Try this:
>
> cd /
>
> sudo du -sh *
>
> This should spit out the disk usage of each directory in /

That's not going to help him. If you look at the output of df, you'll see
what his problem is.

>> bill at Lucy:~$ df -Th
>> Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>> /dev/sda1     ext4    9.2G  8.1G  624M  94% /
>> none      devtmpfs    990M  328K  990M   1% /dev
>> none         tmpfs    994M  140K  994M   1% /dev/shm
>> none         tmpfs    994M  204K  994M   1% /var/run
>> none         tmpfs    994M     0  994M   0% /var/lock
>> none         tmpfs    994M     0  994M   0% /lib/init/rw
>> /dev/sda6     ext4    138G   50G   81G  38% /home
>> /dev/sdb1     ext4    459G  200G  236G  46% /media/Thomas

I don't know why you separated your home and root directories, but you've
made the same mistake a number of other folks have made. Your root
filesystem is far too small.

All your software is installed in /usr, all your temporary files in /tmp
and all your working files in /var. Only YOUR files are put in /home. This
means that all your operating system files have only 9.2 gigs of space,
while your files have 138 gigs of space. This is rather lopsided. These
days I prefer to let Ubuntu do my partitioning, and leave the fancy
partitioning to sysadmins and other masochistic types ;-)

As for solutions, you're going to have to resize your partitions. I don't
know how to do that on Ubuntu/Gnome.

Kind regards,

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: www.saturnlaboratories.co.za
b: blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za