[ubuntu-za] Filesysytem >Root

Bill Cairns cairnsww at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 05:34:37 UTC 2011

I am suddenly getting the message that Filesystem Root has only 435 Kb
left (sorry, forget the exact wording). How can i fix that? I can't
look at Filesystem > Root (permission denied). Why (and how) would
anything get in there to use up space?

I am running 10.04 and have been for more than a year. I recently
added a 500 GByte drive and have moved some of my large folders there
so as to give me more room on the Home partition. This new problem of
mine may (and I repeat and emphasize the "may"!) have started about
the same time - I don't reboot very often and am not sure exactly when
it started.

I certainly have some unwanted applications installed. Would it help
to get rid of them?

So far there does not seem to be a system deterioration - but I am worried.

Would appreciate your help.

  Bill