[ubuntu-za] Using Ubuntu Natty Narwhal with 2 screens

Lee Sharp leesharp at hal-pc.org
Wed Aug 24 17:05:52 UTC 2011

On 08/24/2011 11:41 AM, Nico Michael(PtaISP) wrote:
> Thanks now that I have Ubuntu working on the FX card with one monitor I
> will look at geting the binary

Slow down!  Try and stay as stock as possable, because you can be in for
a lot of trouble if you do not.

1) Start with the restricted drivers in the standard repository.  That
should work for a 5700.

2) If not, the next step is a more current repository.  I use the xswat
ppa for my GTX550 Ti.
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates

3) The compiled drivers directly from Nvidia.  I never recomend this,
and have never seen anyone actually need it.

That all said, Unity is brand new and WILL have issues.  If you can not
get steps 1 or 2 to work, try going back to the LTS, 10.04 since it
still uses the very stable Gnome 2.  I am still on it for almost all of
my systems.  I am also not a Unity fan. :)

			Lee