[ubuntu-za] Cape Town Global Jam

ubuntupunk at gmail.com ubuntupunk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 17:02:50 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Stefano Rivera <stefanor at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi ubuntupunk (2011.08.19_17:55:00_+0200)
> > Marco Please be there. We need some Ubuntu Scientific Applications. I
> have
> > People's Health Movement support for Lab on a Chip and Climate Change
> > Coefficient Engines. Please help me build them to support COP17
>
> I'm afraid this isn't the right event for that. Ubuntu is in Feature
> Freeze (and will be in Beta Freeze at that point). This means only
> serious bugs in the upcoming Ubuntu release will be dealt with.
>
> I want to keep this quite focussed on fixing problems in the archive,
> and checking to see that the Scientific packages aren't completely
> broken. We've had a few Ubuntu releases where we released with some
> unusable Scientific packages. Let's try to avoid that.
>
> Our Global Jams in the past didn't achieve that much in terms of getting
> fixes uploaded to the Ubuntu archive. Since then, I think we have a few
> people in our loco who've become more experienced in these issues, and
> have realised that focussing the Jam on one particular area is the best
> way to achieve anything.
>
> For the work I have in mind, if you have driven a C / C++ compiler
> before and are comfortable on the command line, you can almost certainly
> fix some packages. If you haven't you can learn :) or test some packages
> and help us find issues to work on.
>
> SR
>
> --
> Stefano Rivera
>  http://tumbleweed.org.za/
>  H: +27 21 465 6908 C: +27 72 419 8559  UCT: x3127

Was actually thinking about the Open Lab Initiative, if there isn't already
one. Something to build an interface so it can do the differential calculus
we need to link up GBW to the GBGT, if you see what I mean.

I guess you can sign me up for another packaging the code we get into debian
tutorial.

*David Robert Lewis*
*PO BOX 4398*
*Cape Town*