[ubuntu-za] Cape Town Global Jam

Stefano Rivera stefanor at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 19 16:04:25 UTC 2011

Hi ubuntupunk (2011.08.19_17:55:00_+0200)
> Marco Please be there. We need some Ubuntu Scientific Applications. I have
> People's Health Movement support for Lab on a Chip and Climate Change
> Coefficient Engines. Please help me build them to support COP17

I'm afraid this isn't the right event for that. Ubuntu is in Feature
Freeze (and will be in Beta Freeze at that point). This means only
serious bugs in the upcoming Ubuntu release will be dealt with.

I want to keep this quite focussed on fixing problems in the archive,
and checking to see that the Scientific packages aren't completely
broken. We've had a few Ubuntu releases where we released with some
unusable Scientific packages. Let's try to avoid that.

Our Global Jams in the past didn't achieve that much in terms of getting
fixes uploaded to the Ubuntu archive. Since then, I think we have a few
people in our loco who've become more experienced in these issues, and
have realised that focussing the Jam on one particular area is the best
way to achieve anything.

For the work I have in mind, if you have driven a C / C++ compiler
before and are comfortable on the command line, you can almost certainly
fix some packages. If you haven't you can learn :) or test some packages
and help us find issues to work on.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera