[ubuntu-za] Laptop without OS option

Peter Nel fourdots at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 09:51:20 UTC 2011

Shafi,
I recently bought a laptop and had the same problem - how to avoid the
windo$e tax. I was frustrated that I had to support MS even though wanting
nothing to do with them. I mean, even if I buy the thing and wipe win7, they
already got what they needed out of me, so what do they care - but I'm
digressing into a rant here..
You have 3 options:

1) Buy a laptop with linux pre-loaded -- Difficult to get in SA. Very few
choices. Won't necessarily be Ubuntu, and probably not the best specs.
2) Buy a laptop with no OS -- even scarcer, I've yet to find one.
3) Buy one with windows pre-loaded -- probably the one you're gonna have to
take, like most of the rest of us. Just make sure to rant and rave to them
for not having what you want, then begrudgingly force yourself to buy it.

(tip: buy online. it's cheaper and you can search and compare specs. e.g.
www.sybaritic.co.za - not affiliated)

If you want less headaches (esp. option 3) make sure that everything works
before you buy. Find the one with specs you like, then search the web to try
figure out how compatible it is with linux (ubuntu) - look for a certified
laptop (ubuntu site) as mentioned earlier on this thread.
If you're brave you might ignore some device or feature problems it may
have, and use it as an opportunity to contribute. Help the developers of a
driver, or some other app fix it on that laptop - it's actually not that
difficult, they usually talk you through it - although.. no guarantees!
Mine for instance has problems with hibernate, HD cam (crash at high res),
and hdmi out. Haven't had time to try fix - interesting story: My model came
out in Oct 2010; originally had gfx problems (up to Dec. 2010); problem was
fixed out of the box (Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit+updates) by the time i bought it
(Feb 2011)

If any incompatibility would be a deal-breaker, i'd say it's the graphics
driver - sadly the floss drivers just aren't good enough yet on most gfx
hardware (if it is, then you're in luck) -- and the only "proper" drivers we
have is the ATI/NVIDEA proprietary drivers; so make sure they have a proper
linux driver for your hardware (mine is actually not exactly the same model
as they report to support, but display is perfect)

4) Option 4 -- you can always try what was suggested earlier about trying to
pressure them with the new Consumer Protection Act (CPA) that supposedly
should protect our rights in this regard. Lol, it would be awsome if that
actually worked.

Péter Nel
[Dell XPS L701x; CPU : Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz); Display : 17.3"
HD+WLED (1600 x 900); Memory : 6 GB (1x2GB & 1X4Gb) 1333MHz; DDR3Graphics :
NVIDIA GeForce gt 445M 3GB; Hard drive : 640GB (7200RPM); Optical drive : 8X
DVD+/-RW; OS :/*Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64BIT)*/ (<-strikethrough
:D) Ubuntu 10.10 (64-bit); Wireless Connectivity : 802.11 (n) & BLUETOOTH;
9-cell 90WHr Li-Ion Battery; HD Webcam; 2xeSATA; USBv3.0;
1xSPDIF+ 1xStereo audio ] - Lekke!