[ubuntu-za] A Local forum

David Rubin drubin at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 18 14:22:44 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Jason McBeath <jason at mcbeath.co.za> wrote:

>  Hi, in response to this: Is this other content really so off-topic that we
> need a separate forum? Is there really enough of such content to justify it?
> I've seen the window-wiper-motor post that started this thread, and that's
> basically it..
>
> I was thinking more along the lines of expanding the community. Have a look
> at something like thehubsa.co.za.
>
> It's a cycling website, but the community that grows out of a bunch of like
> minded people discussing all sorts of issues is what I find beneficial. You
> don't get that off a mailing list.
>
> Which is kinda why I started this topic. But the overwhelming feeling is
> that "we are ubuntu geeks and do not want to discuss anything else really
> with other ubuntu geeks."
>
> Ok, I get that, no harm in asking though.

That has very little to do with the medium that is used for the discussion
but rather the discussion topics that are promoted and discussed.

There are plenty of these communities you speak of that run off mailing
lists. (and yes I know thehubsa very well)

The reasons for why we do or do not post completely off topic and completely
social threads on here is another story and maybe some one else will be able
to chip in but I don't have the time for that currently.

David