[ubuntu-za] Downloads, repos and CDs

wayne plettpc at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 13:36:27 UTC 2011

On 12/04/2011 12:13, Christoff Erasmus wrote:
> Sent From Andriod Mobile
> On 12 Apr 2011 12:02, "wayne" <plettpc at gmail.com
> <mailto:plettpc at gmail.com>> wrote:
>  >
>  > On 10/04/2011 20:55, maia grotepass wrote:
>  >>
>  >> As some of you may know, Canonical is no longer sending shipit CDs. We
>  >> are an approved LoCo so we do get CDs sent to the LoCo contact and we
>  >> are doing our best to get as many CDs for the different universities
>  >> and groups that need CDs.
>  >>
>  >
>  > Yep, this really sucks, I don't mind the DL ing but I have some older
> equipment that only reads OEM cd's/no usb booting/etc, So after
> distributing cd's for years I can't even get one.
>  >
>  > 1 * desktop & 1 Server is all I'm asking for?
>  >
>  > Wayne A
>  >

> Wayne,
> Your approach to solving your problem is wrong.
>
> Moaning at the South African Community will only aggrovate people.
>
> There is no signuficant differance between an OEM and a CD you write
> from the iso.
>
> If you have problems with CD's your write, try writing them at the
> slowest speed.
>
> Also if you can't dl the iso, asking nicely will defineteley get you a CD.
>
> I would even be willing to post you one if your in the platteland.
>
> Regards,
> Christoff

Hi Christoff

Thanks for reading my intentions incorrectly, My gripe is not with the
community at all, It *IS* with Canonical.
I don't think it was entirely wise to arbitrarily stop issuing cd's to
long serving members.
We have a confirmed record of spreading the UBUNTU word for many
releases and all we are asking is a bit of leeway,

IF you read my post, I have many old equipment installs, that *DO NOT*
read anything but OEM or for a want of a better word a factory print.

Some of our old DL360's just plain refuse, believe me I've tried.

However if this LOCO gets factory prints out of Canonical, I would
appreciate it.

BTW , this is not the first time I have written about this, actually
shippit stopped sending from 10.04, that's what really peeved me, and I
could not get onto long term.

It's true I could just do a manual upgrade, and hundreds of gig's later,
something just doesnt play nicely, I prefer to do a new install.

Wayne A