[ubuntu-za] Ruby on Rails

Daniël Louw daniel at dline.co.za
Mon Apr 4 21:46:51 UTC 2011

Thanks for the responses!

The prac is due tomorrow at noon, so I'm not sure where I will be able to
get 30 hours to set up my production server :-)

I usually bite off more than I can chew. We are actually supposed to use a
Windows-based one-click-installer if we wanted to work at home. They have
provided us with a production server on campus where we are to ftp the
completed RoR app to when we're finished.
I thought I'd learn more by setting up my own production server, as I have
an old machine still connected to my home network for just this purpose.
This way I'd learn a bit more than the rest of my class, right?

>...common thing is just about all of them is telling you not to install
rubygems with apt-get."
I must have missed this when looking for how-to's!

The strange thing is however, that I ran into the same problem using said
provided Windows-based installer. So this is not just a 'Buntu problem, it's
something bigger...

@Lee
Please give my thanks to your rails guys, finding the time out of their busy
schedules to answer my menial question is very commendable. Their answers
was not perceived as being rude at all :-)

@Stefano
I have no knowledge of Python whatsoever, but at this stage my feelings
towards Ruby is restrained enough to make me learn a new language from
scratch overnight in order to complete my task at hand. I only predict
problems however, as our lecturer's fancy-shmancy rails server set up to
manage 300+ students' rails apps won't take very lightly to a Django
submission :-).

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Stefano Rivera <stefanor at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi Lee (2011.04.04_19:54:00_+0200)
> > There are also many tutorials on the web about installing Rails on
> > Ubuntu, and one common thing is just about all of them is telling you
> > not to install rubygems with apt-get."
>
> rails is available on Ubuntu, packaged. If you don't need the latest and
> greatest, and want a stable version for production, it may be a good
> choice.
>
> If you do, you'll probably want to install large chunks of your ruby
> stack from source, not from the Ubuntu archive, as that's how Ruby
> people expect one to work.
>
> Here's a perspective on the issue from the Debian Developer who used to
> maintain many Ruby packages for Debian.
> http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=617
> (IIRC, He's still involved, just less so).
>
> > My suggestion for a production Rails server for someone who doesn't
> > know what they are doing is don't do it."
>
> I think that's a reasonable response. It's not going to be something
> that's trivial to manage in production, if you are new to it. However
> there's one good way to learn.... :)
>
> Personally, I'm a Python person, and would use Django instead of RoR.
>
> SR
>
> --
> Stefano Rivera
>  http://tumbleweed.org.za/
>  H: +27 21 465 6908 C: +27 72 419 8559  UCT: x3127

*Daniël Louw*
daniel at dline.co.za
www.dline.co.za
+27 84 2499 299