[ubuntu-za] Ruby on Rails

Daniël Louw daniel at dline.co.za
Sun Apr 3 18:11:03 UTC 2011

Our lecturer gave us this assignment that entails making a Rails web
application. This is really cool, as Ruby and RoR is supposed to be this
really awesome framework.
Quoted from their website: "...optimized for programmer happiness and
sustainable productivity."

At this stage I'm neither happy or productive. I've been struggling since
yesterday getting the damn thing to work!

I manage to install Ruby and RubyGems (the package manager) by typing
~#apt-get install ruby rubygems

But when I'm using RubyGems to install rails (~#gem install rails) I get an
"invalid code lengths set" error or something. Check out
http://help.rubygems.org/discussions/problems/543-gems-not-installing-because-of-invalid-stored-block-lengths
for
the lengthy error description and Terminal outputs. They are taking a bit
long to respond.

Is there anyone who is clued up with Rails in here? I have a hunch it's a
broken cache somewhere on the internet serving SA that's causing this. If
someone can eplicate this error for me, I can at least confirm it's not just
me.

*Daniël Louw*
daniel at dline.co.za
www.dline.co.za
+27 84 2499 299
+12 12 347 8305

*"Measuring programming progress by lines of code is like measuring aircraft
building progress by weight." - *Bill Gates