[ubuntu-za] NETBOOK CRASH

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Thu Sep 30 07:16:10 BST 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 09:43:38AM +0200, vincent wrote:
>It's still unclear to me though as to why 10.04 places a lock on any
>backups made and put in the backup folder in var, while this never
>happened in 8.04?

Please explain why it is necessary to remove any locks? Which program
requires this? Which guide were you following?

>I.m now a tad hesitant to use chown in order to unlock & transfer these
>file to a disk as it would seem that this is what caused the crash in
>the first place. Although 10.04 on the desktop, where these locks take
>place, is still working just fine?

Why should it not be working fine? Please explain. Also, a little
hesitancy is not a bad thing in this case, I've never had to chown
anything in /var before, and prefer to leave /var alone.

>The command I used is "sudo chown -hR vincent /var/backup"
>
>Surely this would only change ownership of "backup" to vincent & not all
>the other files it appears to have changed?

It shouldn't have, what I suspect might have happened is that maybe
by accident there was a space inserted, eg. / var/backup and then the
command would have tried to recursively change all files to be owned
by vincent, from the root folder downwards.

>Once again many thanks for the help received.

No prob

Cheers,
Jonathan