[ubuntu-za] Brainstorm on ideas to get Ubuntu to areas without internet (renamed from Release Party 10.10.10 ...)

Helge Reikeras helge.reikeras at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 22:57:38 BST 2010

Hi

Thank you Maia for creating a new thread.

The distribution problem is a prominent one. The Freedom Toaster was
supposed to address this. However, even if users can obtain a CD, the
standard Ubuntu install will not allow the users to play MP3s, MPEG,
DVDs, and other restricted formats they expect to be able to play.
Without Internet access they are unable to obtain these codecs. Also,
without Internet access the main benefit of using a distribution like
Ubuntu: a huge repository of free and tested software that is easy to
install, is forfeited. Even with Internet access caps and cost might
become a prohibiting factor, although the roll out of uncapped
services goes a long way to alleviate this problem.

Winston showed us that the most efficient manner of transporting large
amounts is data is overland. There is a list of people willing to ship
software here [1]. Perhaps it is possible to improve on this concept
even more. Also, it might be interesting to look into distributing
software in WUGs [2].

I'd like to hear what are people's thoughts around this? I would very
much be interested in trying to find solutions to this problem.

[1] http://ubuntu-za.org/get-ubuntu
[2] http://www.wug.za.net/

- Helge