[ubuntu-za] Failed RAID boot

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Sun Oct 31 13:58:16 GMT 2010

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Charl Wentzel
<charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 15:13 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> You generally setup the /boot on it's on RAID1 (mirror) RAID
>> partition, then do the rest.

root doesn't need to be on non RAID, it works fairly well on RAID1,
/boot as well - but /boot needs to be on it's on md device.

> Essentially this is what I've done, although I set up the whole root
> partition in RAID.  I seems however, that RAID is the problem here.
> I'll run a test later where I setup the root or boot on a non-RAID
> partition.
>
>> I normally use LVM on top on software
>> RAID as well to make resizing partitions later on easier.
>
> I normally use LVM on a server too, but for this virtual host I'm using
> a different approach:
>
> a. The first partion is only there to run the host and can be
> reinstalled in its entirety without losing much.
>
> b. The second partition is to store the machine definitions and host the
> virtual hard drives as qcow2 files.
>
> Do you think this is a fair approach?
>
> Charl

We mainly do virtualization and LVM has a lot of advantages over disk
images, like live snapshots / migration / quickly fsck (i.e. you don't
need to fsck the whole drive when the server reboots 1 year later, but
only root, and then fsck each VPS as it starts up), easier data
recovery in case of a crash, etc. With XEN (and probably KVM as well)
LVM is also a bit faster than an image, especially on large virtual
machines. Resizing an LVM based virtual machine is also much easier.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com