[ubuntu-za] Failed RAID boot

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Sun Oct 31 13:34:21 GMT 2010

On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 15:13 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> You generally setup the /boot on it's on RAID1 (mirror) RAID
> partition, then do the rest.

Essentially this is what I've done, although I set up the whole root
partition in RAID.  I seems however, that RAID is the problem here.
I'll run a test later where I setup the root or boot on a non-RAID

> I normally use LVM on top on software
> RAID as well to make resizing partitions later on easier.

I normally use LVM on a server too, but for this virtual host I'm using
a different approach:

a. The first partion is only there to run the host and can be
reinstalled in its entirety without losing much.

b. The second partition is to store the machine definitions and host the
virtual hard drives as qcow2 files.

Do you think this is a fair approach?