[ubuntu-za] looking for ADSL modem with configurable factory default settings

Quintin van Rooyen quintin.vanrooyen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 13:20:27 BST 2010

On 25 October 2010 13:38, Nic Roets <nroets at gmail.com> wrote:

> The following problem happened to me on numerous occations with different
> ADSL lines: The ADSL line would be on and the PPP light would be off. Going
> into the system log of the modem I can see that no PPP packets were
> received. The error message will be "Timeout waiting for PADO packets", but
> it varies between modems. Then I call Telkom and when they start asking me
> who my ISP is, I tell them it does not matter because their equipment does
> not ask for the username. I tell them that they should reset the line from
> their side. Then they tell me to unplug the modem, which I do. They 'reset'
> it from their side and the problem is solved.
>
> Hey Nick.

Telkom calls this a "Port Reset"

One Telkom tech explained that they move the line to a new virtual port on
the dslam. Why they need to have the modem unplugged and switched off is a
bit of a mystery since I had this done without the modem being disconnected
or reset a few times.

I gues this has to do with the modem losing session on the dsl and then
reconnecting to the new port.

You can actually ask for this, and if the telkom callcenter agent thinks you
have an inkling of what you are talking about they do it without too many
questions asked.

Cheers.

> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at softdux.com> wrote:

>> > I've had ADSL for around 5 years now and it was never necessary to reset
>> > factory settings. If I can get into the modem's page and see if the ADSL
>> is
>> > syncing and look at the log, that's always good enough.
>> >
>> > An alternative would be to 'script' the restore. Most modems allow you
>> > back up and restore the configuration. You can manually backup a working
>> > configuration and then write a 'wget' to send it. Preferably you would
>> use
>> > as much of the factory defaults as possible e.g. IP address. Is there a
>> > firefox utility to record and replay web transactions ?
>> >

>> > --
>>

>> Nic, thanx for the replies, but this won't help me much. You're lucky
>> not to have had any ADSL problems. A client of ours just off Marlboro
>> drive in JHB needs to reset their modem at least once every 3 weeks.
>> And it's not an account or modem problem. We've changed 4 different
>> brands of modems and tried both IS, Mweb & SAIX accounts with them.
>> Something on their exchange simply causes the modems to loose sync and
>> the only way to fix it is to reset to factory defaults.
>>
>> the problem with the other client is that she's not so PC literate and
>> when she needs help, Telkom tells her to reset the modem to factory
>> defaults, but they won't help her to restore the backup. And she's not
>> going to remember howto do it herself. I'm trying to avoid too much
>> downtime for her and too many support calls as well.
>>
>> --
>> Kind Regards
>> Rudi Ahlers
>> SoftDux