[ubuntu-za] looking for ADSL modem with configurable factory default settings

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 10:25:15 BST 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at softdux.com> wrote:

> not going to work. Would you rather lock the modem away and be
> hardheaded about it, or have Telkom do their work and fix the issue?

I've had ADSL for around 5 years now and it was never necessary to reset to
factory settings. If I can get into the modem's page and see if the ADSL is
syncing and look at the log, that's always good enough.

An alternative would be to 'script' the restore. Most modems allow you to
back up and restore the configuration. You can manually backup a working
configuration and then write a 'wget' to send it. Preferably you would use
as much of the factory defaults as possible e.g. IP address. Is there a
firefox utility to record and replay web transactions ?