[ubuntu-za] OT: looking for network performance comparison chart

Lee Sharp leesharp at hal-pc.org
Fri Oct 22 14:57:08 BST 2010

On 10/22/2010 02:18 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone have, or know of a comparison chart of the different
> network adapters, i.e. 1GB  / 10GB, Infiniband, etc. And if possible
> with a few top brand NIC's and switches listed as well.

> I would like to see, for example, what the max throughput is of a 1GB
> NIC (and this could probably differ from PCI to PCIE-x1 to PCIE-x4),
> and 10GBE. Different switches would probably also have different
> ratings, but could a layer 2 switch&  layer3 switch deliver the same
> performance for example?

Talk about a can of worms...  But some things to start.  A gig nic is
faster than most hard drives, so your drives will be the bottleneck.
Most managed gig switches have backplanes way over what is needed.  I am
looking at 24 port switches with 48 gig of throughput.

That all said, cheap nics can load the CPU and slow things down.

Lastly, Layer 2 is a switch.  Layer 3 is a router.  Routers have more
functionality, which can take more CPU which can slow things down.

> Basically I need to know what upload / download speeds I should be
> getting from the different networks, set aside other options like CPU
> / RAM / disc IO / etc.

I need to know how much a car costs.  Set aside questions of brand,
options, ect... :)

			Lee