[ubuntu-za] using Linux as a front-end controller for a SAN?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Thu Oct 14 09:28:32 BST 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 8:58 AM, Andre Rossouw <andre at arnet.co.za> wrote:
> Have you considered upgrading to 10GB HBA's? Will require the use of
> proper server hardware and some switch upgrades - but is comparable to
> fibre.

That's a lot of extra money which could be reinvested in a few quad GB
NIC's, which are cheaper :)

> I really hope you are using a strong layer 3 switch for your storage
> network and have VLAN'd the thing for your requirements. We've seen it
> many times where folks run iSCSI on the same network as their "regular"
> network traffic - always ends in complaints about performance.
>
> I do quite a bit with storage where I work - if you want to chat more
> offline, feel fee.
> --
> Andre Rossouw <andre at arnet.co.za>
>
> --

That's the beauty of having multiple NIC's in the same server ;) Our
NAS's already run on a seperate level3 Gigabit switch for this exact
reason.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers