[ubuntu-za] using Linux as a front-end controller for a SAN?

Andre Rossouw andre at arnet.co.za
Thu Oct 14 07:58:14 BST 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 09:23 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> > Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
> >
> > Yes indeed - it's called EMC Unified Storage ;)
>
> It's expensive. And propitiatory. I don't like propitiatory or vendor
> lock-ins.

I do agree with you on that point.

> > Seriously though - I have no idea of how you'd implement it. But a
> > brilliant idea if you do get it going.
> > A suggestion: Give all the NAS's to the front-end then use iSCSI to
> > connect to the front-end from the machines that need the LUN's?
> >

> This is kinda how we do it right now, but the main server's network is
> a serious bottle neck, even with 4x quad 1GB NIC's. So I'm looking for
> a different approach.

Have you considered upgrading to 10GB HBA's? Will require the use of
proper server hardware and some switch upgrades - but is comparable to
fibre.

I really hope you are using a strong layer 3 switch for your storage
network and have VLAN'd the thing for your requirements. We've seen it
many times where folks run iSCSI on the same network as their "regular"
network traffic - always ends in complaints about performance.

I do quite a bit with storage where I work - if you want to chat more
offline, feel fee.
--
Andre Rossouw <andre at arnet.co.za>