[ubuntu-za] Scanning and OCR question

Ian Whitfield whitfield at federalsaints.net
Tue Oct 5 10:16:38 BST 2010

  Hi All

I recently put this question up on the Scribus Forum but got no reply -
Any suggestions??

I need to Scan and OCR a lot of material for the Journal I produce with
Scribus. I run Kubuntu 10.04 and have a Brother MFC 8860DN
Scanner/Printer. The unit scans well but I can no longer get it to OCR
correctly for inclusion in my publication. I use the Sane system but
when I set it to OCR I just get pages of "Gobblede-Gook" I used to get
'fair' OCR with Kubuntu 9.10. Anyone have any suggestions on settings
etc for this? I've tried various resolutions with no luck.

As a matter of interest the printer now will also no longer tumble the
pages for Double-Sided printing since I upgraded to 10.04! Do you think
this could all be due to a driver problem? I use the Ubuntu Drivers from
the Brother site.

Maybe I must wait for Kubuntu 10.10 and/or I'm thinking about the new
Linux Mint KDE!!

Thanks Guys
--
*/_Ian Whitfield_/*//