[ubuntu-za] Num lock light remain on after shutdown or suspend

Josh josholikestofly at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 13:50:48 GMT 2010

HI everyone

I've noticed something since installing Ubuntu 10.10: My num lock led light
on my keyboard (PS/2 desktop keyboard) now remains on after I shutdown the
PC. It also remains on while the computer is suspended.
This is something new that never happened before in all other Ubuntu release
since 8.10.

I have a dual boot, and if I shutdown from windows the num lock light turns
off like it used too. If i boot into a GRUB command line and issue a halt
command, the num lock light also turns off as it should.

As mentioned this has only started occurring since a fresh install of
maverick, and only occurs from a shutdown / suspend in Ubuntu, and not GRUB
or windows.
I have noticed that it i turn off num lock before a shutdown, it remains
off, however, i would like to avoid having to do this every time i suspend /
shutdown, and then turn it on again at power up.
I have also tried turning num lock on and off at boot from within the BIOS,
however, this has no effect.

Any ideas on why this is happening and how to stop it? After a bit of
searching I have found no one with a similar issue.

Just some specs:

Ubuntu 10.10 amd64
Desktop PC with Asus motherboard and PS/2 keyboard and mouse.

Thanks!

Cheers

Josh