[ubuntu-za] KVM Virtio Driver Signing

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Fri May 28 00:03:14 BST 2010

Hi Guys

I finally got the virtio network driver installed remotely... Thanks for
the assistance guys!

Since it was a Win Server 2008 the driver needed to be signed.  Instead
of downloading the Windows toolkit (about 5 hours for me) I used the
following:

http://blog.eliasprobst.eu/?p=8

Essentially the tool creates a certificate for the driver and then puts
the server in Test mode (driver signatures don't have to be verified).

I just wanted to know if there was some "serious" risk involed in doing
it this way?  It definitely made the impossible possible for me.

Regards
Charl