[ubuntu-za] school setup

William Walter Kinghorn williamk at dut.ac.za
Thu May 27 17:06:38 BST 2010

Hi Frans,

Edubuntu is a free download, there are a few places in Jhb/Pta and Cape Town that will sell you the DVD, for not too much, I think that you can also buy the repos on DVD, and they post to you ( Google to locate these places )

Edubuntu is great, as it already has some of the apps that I have e-mailed earlier, you can always download the other software from the repos that are not in Edubuntu

It also has some nice features for the school environment, like as a previous e-mail, ITALC

Things like TuxMathScrabble will need to be downloaded, from a previous e-mail

Edubuntu also has a more Child/Kid friendly desktop

I am also of the opinion that if they want XP, fine, but let them use the apps for XP that are in Ubuntu ( or work on both ), so that when you show them Ubuntu, you show them the apps that they are used to, this makes it more difficult for them to argue against Ubuntu, as you have already proven that the apps work.

I have started making copies of OpenDisc and giving them out, latest version 10.05 ( http://www.theopendisc.com/ ), have a look at the apps on the DVD ( http://www.theopendisc.com/programs/ )
They have an education version as well called OpenEducationDisc 10.01, download it from their site

William