[ubuntu-za] school setup

Robert Ketteringham robket at gmail.com
Thu May 27 12:13:00 BST 2010

On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 12:59 +0200, frans wrote:

> On 10/05/27 12:27 PM, Helge Reikeras wrote:
> > On 27/05/2010 12:17, frans wrote:
> >
> >> I've been asked to help with setting up a school computer room, about 50
> >> pc's.
> >>
> >> wich programs would you recogment...
> >>
> >> like gost, teacher control, etc.
> >>

> > Check out Edubuntu http://edubuntu.org/. It's designed to be used in
> > school computer labs.
> >

> Also first place I'd look, yes. unfortionately they want xp :(, so maybe
> I can give the info through for a next system :)

Our school had a program which allowed the teacher/lab admin to "spy" on
each desktop. Basically to make sure that the kids are working and not
playing games/etc. Our school paid $$$ for that program, worst idea ever
in my (very biased) opinion, but you might want to check out the open
source equivelant iTALC.

http://italc.sourceforge.net/wiki/

It has other benefits including being able to perform administration
remotely and screencasting to all the PC's.

Robert