[ubuntu-za] [GLUG-tech] 4gb RAM lucid 64 reboot loop issue

Hannes Coetzee scorpking at scorpking.za.org
Wed May 26 14:05:40 BST 2010

<---snip-->
> Right, acpi=off is not an option. CPU scaling is turned off, so the
> CPU runs very hot, CPU fan hits max speed, so battery life is shot to
> heck, and pressing the power button just makes the laptop go dead
> instantly.

Check your BOIS settings for the power switch issue. It could be set to
"Instant Off" or something similar.
> Running with mem=4000m and Ubuntu says it has 2.9gb available :(
> that'l have to do for now...

As far as I know you will have to fiddle with the kernel to get more
than 3GB RAM picked up by Ubuntu (Google knows).

For the rest of the problems I'd start looking in the BIOS. I've noticed
some weird behavior before with Linux if the BIOS settings are not correct.

Hannes

dangerous content by Pinpoint, and is
believed to be clean.