[ubuntu-za] Win4Lin

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Wed May 26 09:25:16 BST 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 09:05 -0500, Lee Sharp wrote:
> Charl Wentzel wrote:
> >
> > If I had to run Win 7 on a Linux server, which virtualisation package
> > would you suggest?  Noting that its probably an old dual-core processor
> > I'll be using.
>
> Reading this, two questions jump out at me?  Have you tried WINE?  Why
> Win7, and not XP or Win2k?
>
> Also, you can install X without running X.  That allows a GUI with SSH
> when you need it remotely.

Actually...

a. I don't have a Win7 copy yet, so I'm starting with a copy of XP to
test with.

b. I have thought about it, but I need to run a Goldmine Sync Server
which requires me to run MS SQL Express server as well.  Don't see a
problem with Goldmine Sync, but do you think the combination will work
well together on Wine?  It would be interesting to try!

Regards
Charl