[ubuntu-za] Win4Lin

Quintin van Rooyen quintin.vanrooyen at gmail.com
Tue May 25 10:43:53 BST 2010

On 25 May 2010 10:53, Raoul Snyman <raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za>wrote:

> On Tue, 25 May 2010 09:59:42 +0200, Charl Wentzel wrote:
> > I wanted to run a Windows package on an Ubuntu server and was
> > considering either Virtual Box or Win4Lin, when I came accross the
> > following:
> >
> > http://win4lin.com/wp/
> >
> > Anybody knows what the current status of Win4Lin is?
>
> Win4Lin was basically a commercial packaged version of Qemu, and I think
> since VirtualBox arrived Win4Lin probably died out because it couldn't
> compete.
>
> I don't know about running a GUI-less VirtualBox, mostly because I haven't
> done it before, but that's probably a good option.

Hey.

Win7 in a VM is s-l-o-w. Make sure you have loadsa RAM.

Also, we have a headless Virtualbox install with XP, and there is an issue
with Windows VM's with vboxheadless that causes them to not boot properly,
so keep an eye on that. We need to fiddle with the blerrie VM at least twice
to four time a month to get it going again.

(Google for windows black screen on boot with virtualbox headless.)

YMMV!

Cheers.

> --
> Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
> Saturn Laboratories
> m: 082 550 3754
> e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
> w: www.saturnlaboratories.co.za