[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu-powered Laptop

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Tue May 18 20:19:08 BST 2010

I see Vodacom recently launched a Ubuntu based netbook with HSDPA, 16
GB flash, 256MB RAM. There are however a number of catches: It's on a
2 year contract which makes it very expensive if you don't need the
bandwidth. The second one is that it's a PowerPC. So not only is it
incompatible Windows and most Ubuntu repositories, it also has a much
higher power consumption than the upcoming ARM architecture.
http://www.liliputing.com/2010/05/linkbook-9-inch-netbook-with-a-powerpc-processor.html

I'd much rather go for a notebook that has the right specs (regardless
of brand) that is on special, even if it comes with Windows and find
some other way of supporting Linux.

Or to state it differently: I hate to support Microsoft, but it should
not come at the expense of reducing the competition between the
retailers and the manufacturers.