[ubuntu-za] No sound

Wesley Werner wesley.werner at gmail.com
Tue May 18 19:42:57 BST 2010

Ubuntu Guide suggests
<http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Lucid#Sound>changing your sound
server, I did something similar on the Netbook to get my
mixing to work. The Ubuntu help has a comprehensive sound troubleshooting
guide <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting>(just in case
you have not seen it yet).

Get details of your sound hardware in a terminal with this commad: sudo lshw
-c sound, It helps targeting your searches for your hardware too if someone
else had the same problem.

Ubuntu uses ALSA as the sound system by default, you could try changing it
to OSS <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenSound> instead. I can't
remember exactly what I installed to get my sound working, so I don't want
to name packages to install without being sure.